新视野大学英语_新视野大学英语2读写教程教案unit 3 Marriage Across the Nations
Section A Marriage Across the Nations
Section B Rich Meeting His Future Mother-in-lamunication tasks of choosing a life-long partner.
2. talk about advantages and problems of a cross-cultural marriage.
3. master the key language points grammatical structures in the text;
4. conduct a series of reading, listening, speaking and e of the unit
5. tell facts from opinions in reading.
Section A Marriage Across the Nations
Racism: the belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others. In the history of America, Martin Luther King Jr. inent leaders against racial discrimination and striving for civil rights.
1. Look and Say
1. Look at these photos of some celebrities. Can you recognize them?
2. Do you knoething about their families?
3. What do you call such marriages?
4. Do you ous Sposer. Echo’s(三毛) husband is a Spanish professional diver. Maggie’s (张曼玉)is a an. And Jiang Wen’s (姜文) arriages can be called marriages across nations.
2. Listen and Ansarry for the right reasons.
2. Hoother react to the neother supported her. But her father thought Mark might be using this marriage to obtain United States citizenship.
3. In eant no action; she inded her it ind.
1). Central topic: Gail and Mark decided to marry despite their racial and cultural differences after being together for tet the girl’s parents.
2). Part Division of the Text
Part I (Para.1-4): Gail and Mark decided to marry after being together for tixed marriage.
Part II (Para.5-9): Their planned marriage met other’s resistance, inded her to be very certain that Mark arriage.
Detailed Reading (language study & summary of the text)
1. Language study
1) . Neind 心怀，怀有
Tiffany’s been harboring spite against our boss ever since her transfer certainly not harboring a secret desire for the man, if that’s inal, etc.); protect 庇护，窝藏(罪犯)，隐匿
The trees harbor monkeys. 树林里有猴子。
There ent for anyone inals. 任何窝藏罪犯的人都将受到严厉惩罚。
n. [C, U] place of shelter for ships 港，港口
All the ships stayed in the harbor during the storm. 在风暴期间所有的船只都停泊在港湾里。
Some of the best natural harbors in the
1. prove (a report, an opinion, etc.) true or correct 证实，证明，确定
The announcements confirmed that the election s us in the vieake (a plan or meeting) certain, often by telephone or a reservation for a double room on the first of July. 我想确认一下预订7月1日一间双人房。
1. cruel; severe 严厉的，残酷的，苛刻的
His family ent to give a young child. 那样去惩罚一个幼儿很残忍。
2. unpleasantly rough or sharp, esp. to the senses 刺耳 (目) 的
The noise is too harsh to the ear. 那种噪声十分刺耳。
I don’t like the color of that dress; it’s too harsh. 我不喜欢那件衣服的颜色，太刺眼了。
1. go to a further or the next stage; go on 着手，继续进行
Having said houch she liked it, she then proceeded to make critical comments about the ake one’s ost married couples e: for a short period 暂时，一度
You’ll have your oe you’ll have to share one. 不久你会有自己的办公室, 不过你暂时还得与别人合用。
For a time, arried. 有一段时间，我们都以为雪莉和弗兰克会结婚。
3. meet et et e; from the beginning 始终，从开始一直
I realized I had had it in my pocket all along. 我发现它一直就在我衣袋里。
She e all along. 她一直对我很好。
5. on the surface: s on the surface to be quite practical. 表面看来这个计划很切实可行。
On the surface, this seems like a difficult problem, but in fact there’s an easy solution to it. 表面看来这是个难题, 实际上很容易解决。
6. at one’s ost unpleasant side of sb. 最差的一面
I’m at my orning. 我早晨的时候感觉最不好。
This problem over late paying has sho at his ents. 她的约会都由她的秘书负责安排。
All the travel plans have been taken care of. 所有旅行安排都处理好了。
2. Summary of the Text
Mark, a Black, and his girlfriend Gail decided to marry him after being together for tistake made by many couples of marrying for the ore about tolerance, compromise and being open other, ight be using this marriage to obtain United States citizenship. He quoted statistics and gave examples to illustrate the higher divorce rates and possible problems existing in mixed couples to arriage any as the ?
3) What happened ily?
4) Why did Gail’s mother counsel her to be sure she arriage?
6) What are the advantages and disadvantages of cross-cultural marriage?
2. Work in pairs, and comment on the folloents.
1) Time e race.
3) More and more young people are taking a practical attitude toarriage.
4) Late marriage is becoming a trend in large cities.
5) Divorce represents social progress.
3. Structured Writing
Try to ay choose one of the folloent, a good idea to colonize the Amazon, help y
² many other people, not agree
² my idea: colonization of the Amazon, bring, severe environment disaster
² people chop dos, factories
² trees, become feical from farms and factories, pollute, the rivers, the fish, die
² Smoking helps thinking?
² Pollution is inevitable.
Homeportant to knoents that tell ething knople:
Gail and I imagined a quiet ents of belief, judgment or feeling. They shoeone thinks or feels about a subject. Solid opinions, of course, are based on facts. Hoebody’s vieething and are not facts themselves. Look at the follople:
But et Mark I found him a charming and intelligent young guy. (Para. 6, Reading Passage A, Unit 3)
But it is not al fact. A bines the tixture of fact and opinion in a single statement, ust decide ain point of the sentence is essentially fact or opinion. Sometimes an opinion is presented as if it ay be marrying Mark for the same arried your father. (Para. 7, Reading Passage A, Unit 3)
Do the exercise on Page. 74.
1. Nee a very thin piece of cake? 你能为我切一片很薄的蛋糕吗?
He sliced the top off his finger a large piece 片
a slice of bread 一片面包
Would you like another slice of beef? 你还要来一片牛肉吗?
1. [C] any of the foods that are combined to make a particular dish (构成某种食品的各种)成分，配料
The list of ingredients included 500g of sugar and 200ml of cream. 配料单上列出的成份包括500克糖和200毫升的奶油。
Mix all the ingredients in a boade (形成某事物的)因素
the ingredients of sb.’s character 构成某人性格的种种要素
Trust is a key ingredient in a successful marriage. 信任是成功婚姻的关键要素。
3. concerning: about (sb. / sth.) 关于
a letter concerning your complaints 一封与你的投诉有关的信
If you have any information concerning the recent event at the station, please contact the police. 要是你了解任何有关最近车站所发生事情的情况，请与警方联系。
1. (of person or an animal) small, strong, and pact body 结实的身体
2. closely and neatly packed together 紧凑的，小巧的
compact disc (CD) 激光唱片
What a compact office! Houch into so little space? 多小巧的办公室啊!你们是如何把这么多的东西放进这么小的房间的?
5. behalf: [U] interest; side 利益，方面
on someone’s behalf 代表, 为……的利益
On behalf of my husband and myself I thank you. 我代表我的丈夫和我本人向您表示感谢。
Ken is not present, so I shall accept the prize on his behalf. 肯没出席，所以我将代表他领奖。
2. Phrases and Expressions
1. come up e up e up sure I can head to toe: over the ud from head to toe. 孩子们浑身上下都是泥。
The policeman observed me from head to toe as though I e 屏息
The an climbed through the other? 你和你丈夫的母亲合得来吗?
I didn’t really hit it off with his friends. 我和他的朋友并不很合得来。